Thursday 6 February 2014

Remembering Bob Marley Pt 1




If you can find the time, please share with me these two tributes I wrote some time ago to the inimitable, quintessential and ever-living guru, Robert Nesta Marley. Those who know me are aware of my profound feelings for The Gong. Let his messages continue to ring out in 'melodies pure and true'.

BOB MARLEY IS DEAD—From Nzinga’s book

Here I sing for you, a song of Bob Marley…Burning Spear

BOB MARLEY:    AFRICAN ANCESTOR 1945 – 1981

WHY DO WE HAVE TO DIE, MAMMY?

This conversation takes place on the morning of May 11, 1981

Daughter:     Mammy, why did Bob have to go and die on us?

Mother:          What can I say to make you understand? It’s life.

Daughter:     It can’t be life, Mammy. It’s death.

Mother:          Death is an inescapable part of life, child.

Daughter:     Why can’t we live forever? Why?

Mother:          ‘Cause there is no provision on this Planet for everlasting life. Once there is life, there’s going to be death at some time or the other.

Daughter:     Is that what they call planned obsolescence, Mammy?

Mother:          Maybe. I never thought of it that way before. All I know is that we’re here today, gone tomorrow. Where did you learn about planned obsolescence

Daughter:     On a T.V. programme. They were explaining how manufacturers make goods with a short life so very soon they will be of no use and the buyer has to buy more. Anyhow you look at it Mammy, death is sad, so sad.

Mother:   Parting is usually sad, child. Anyway you’re too young to think so seriously about death.

Daughter:     Children die too, Mammy.

Mother:          Yes, I know. That is what I would call planned obsolescence. Don’t last anytime. Here this minute, gone the next even before you can unwrap the packaging.

Daughter:     Mama, I don’t want to die, young or old.

Mother:          I haven’t yet met anyone who wants to die. When your time comes you will have to go like everyone else. That’s the only way you can become an ancestor.

Daughter:     An ancestor? Me? You? Bob? An ancestor? I never thought of it that way. Isn’t Bob Marley a bit young to be an ancestor?

Mother:  He has passed on before us so he is our ancestor.   

Daughter:   Know something, Mummy?

Mother:   Not really. Tell me.

Daughter: I still don’t want anybody to die, ancestor or no ancestor.

Mother:    We can’t stop it, love. ‘We got to fulfil the Book.’

THE END

All the images were taken from the Internet and I claim no copyright. 

No comments:

Post a Comment